Wednesday, July 15, 2026

First Ever Cruise to Alaska- PART 3: Glacier Bay!

                 Part 3- Glacier Bay! (And Icy Straight Point)


I don't think I have the words to describe how beautiful and majestic Glacier Bay was to me. 
And as wonderful as the best photographs taken with super, high definition, expensive pro cameras can be (which we didn't have, by the way- only our phones) it just doesn't compare to the feeling of being there. 
But I'm getting ahead of myself here...

After eating our breakfast by the buffet area windows, we headed outside to the lido deck bundled in our heavier coats and hats to watch as the ship sailed further into the bay. 
Snowy mountains were soon surrounding us on either side of the ship, ever changing, some jagged, we drew ever closer to Marjorie Glacier.
We peered over the back railing, mesmerized by the pieces of ice in the water below. Eventually we made our way to the bow of the ship (stopping a lot along the way to take photos and just gaze.) At the bow, a crowd already laid claim to the smaller railing space. 

But I noticed a small deck above so I suggested checking that out. My husband assumed there wouldn't be room for us there, either, but we found a space just big enough for two...and the sight below was breathtaking.

After a while, a strong chemical smell wafted our way (he can't smell very well but the gal next to me said it was due to some work they had been doing up there). 
That odor didn't exactly go hand in hand with the amazing scenery! But we were interested in viewing from many angles, anyway, so we returned to the lido deck as the ship slowed to a pause. There it would remain for some time, floating in the heart of the sparkling, icy bay, with mountains surrounding us. Enveloping us. 


The weather...it was gorgeous!
 
The videos I had watched usually showed passengers shivering on the decks as they viewed the icy splendor, sometimes enduring cold rain and wind. The advice was to dress in the usual layers, plus add winter hats and gloves.

But while it was a bit nippy at first, especially at the railings, the Alaskan sun shone bright and soon many of us were shedding our coats. 

I had started in my winter coat, hat, and touch screen gloves...less than an hour later, I was taking my gloves and coat off...then my sweater, and then down to my long sleeve tee. 
Crew brought us free yummy split pea soup- a Holland America tradition on Glacier Day. 

We ended up reclining near the pool. semi-sunbathing amid the towering snow-capped mountains. It was amazing and we felt so blessed.  
Sometime during all of this, one of the professional photographers came by to take our picture. The first time, we didn't have railing space, but later he found us again and offered to take one more, with Marjorie Glacier directly behind us.
It's one of my favorite pictures of the cruise. Not only do I really how it turned out, but that time in Glacier Bay felt so glorious, it will always bring back memories of those beautiful hours.


                                         Icy Straight Point




Late that afternoon, we had about four hours or so at the port, Icy Straight Point. We rode the free low tram (gondola) through the woods and back, and then 
toured the old cannery turned large museum and gift shop, 
By the way, while riding back through the trees on that gondola, we spotted a whale out in the sea, spouting off in the distance! It was very cool!
After the museum, we shared a little bag of amazing donut holes made in a small hut run by Salvation Army, 
We kept spotting that whale again as we strolled the boardwalk. Soon, the angle of sun reflecting on the water made it difficult to keep gazing in that direction.


We decided to eat dinner on the ship so headed back just a little early. It had been a very full day and we had seen so much! We were tired but mostly in a good way. 
I can't even remember what we ate for dinner that night, but I know it was good. Every dinner we ate on the ship, whether in the buffet or elegant restaurant or dining room, was usually wonderful.

The next day would be a sea day, but within the Inside Straight. (So no more sea sickness- yay!) 
We'd have all day to explore the ship, play games, relax, see another evening show, and even try the jacuzzi! 
(Although the jacuzzi proved a little less relaxing, as I'll explain next time!)  
To be continued...




No comments:

Post a Comment

First Ever Cruise to Alaska- PART 3: Glacier Bay!

                      Part 3- Glacier Bay! (And Icy Straight Point) I don't think I have the words to describe how beautiful and majesti...